ACER Aspire 6935G battery
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ACER Aspire 6935G battery

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Linux meant for Windows Users.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Linux meant for Windows Users. Empty
PostSubject: Linux meant for Windows Users.   Linux meant for Windows Users. EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 3:52 pm

SHIFTING into the Linux operating system can be pretty daunting for long-time Windows users with grown accustomed to doing things a certain way.
Some months ago, we looked at the challenges that Windows users face when first using Mac OS X. Any challenges are somewhat numerous on Linux, but can lead to a fair sum of frustration for first-time consumers.
Unlike Windows or Macintosh personal computer OS X, there usually are many flavors of Linux. I personally use them a distribution called Ubuntu Linux Variant 6. 06, but this is hardly ever the only one available. It is, however, will show you user-friendly distributions around. At the same time unlike Windows and Apple pc OS X, you can get Linux free--without breaking any laws.
But free software also comes on a price. There’ s significantly less hand-holding and there are more things you’ ll have to recognize on your own. Almost all answers to questions who newbies ask are saved in forums and mailing lists, but these require many dogged Web searching towards ferret out. If you’ ve basically started using Ubuntu, a good starting point for is the Absolute Beginner Talk from the Ubuntu forums.
The tips in this column are hardly ever as comprehensive, but they answer most of the questions I had as i first moved from Windows to Linux. I’ ve also included the software that I’ ve found to generally be indispensable.
How do I install programs? As a Windows user, I was so used to downloading software from an online site and running an EXE file to run it. Things aren’ t that simple around Linux because programs are often dependent on other programs that also need to be installed. Package managers check these dependencies to ensure that the programs run properly. On Ubuntu Linux, one can find two easy ways to install software. Use Add/Remove within the Applications menu or the Synaptic Package Manager (System> Administration> Synaptic Plan Manager), both of which will download an updated directory software available.
Why does Linux keep asking me on a password? One reason Linux (and Mac OS X, which is also dependant on Unix) is relatively safe and sound from viruses and spyware is that your user needs to input a password each time a new program is hooked up. This means it’ s much harder that will accidentally install malicious software from the net.
But where are the files? Linux uses similar directory structure as other Unix-based systems like OS X. The source is reserved for system files and has folders with cryptic names such as bin, boot, dev, together with etc. You generally really don't want to touch these kind of files, and every time you make an attempt to change something here, you are asked for a username and password. On the other personally, you can write data files to your dwelling folder (Places> Home Folder) free of such restrictions. In the foundation of the, this folder is found in the “ home” directory website.
There are two powerful tools that will help find programs and archives: Beagle Search and Gnome Deskbar.
Beagle Search indexes the contents of your hard disk as a way to find what you demand quickly. To add this diet regime, go to Add/Remove, mouse click on Accessories and scroll down till you unearth Search. Check the box almost it and go through the Apply button. When Beagle might be installed, you can realize its in Places> Search.
Deskbar may be a very efficient launcher. To build it available, right-click regarding any desktop panel, choose Also increase Panel and choose Deskbar out of your Accessories section. Click the Add button.
Deskbar works like Spotlight over the Mac. Just type in your first few letters of your search term and a menu will drop affordable showing possible choices. Using this method, you can quickly launch a program without moving the duck through nested menus.
A handy tool for organizing together with finding scraps of data is Tomboy Notes, a notepad that will let you create links to other notes for which you create. You can find it as a Wiki with your desktop.
Why won’ w not my video files execute? Out of the carton, Ubuntu Linux will not play AVI and various other proprietary multimedia formats. An effective way to solve this problem is usually to install and run EasyUbuntu or Automatix (System> Administration> Synaptic Plan Manager). After they happen to be installed, you ought be ready to find these programs through Applications> System Tools.
Any default multimedia player with Ubuntu is Totem, but I favor VLC Media Player, that you can also install using Add/Remove. Meant for music files, I like XMMS Ipod, which looks a lot like WinAmp. Others trust by Amarok, which also maintains a database to your music.
Can I manage files created in Windows 7? Unlike Windows or Macintosh personal computer OS X, Linux carries a complete office suite that’ s best with MS Office. OpenOffice. org that will load files created around MS Word and MS Excel and save them programs that format so your colleagues who definitely are still using Windows are able to read them back. One other useful tool is Your wine, which lets you jog some Windows programsI need it to run Adobe Photoshopin Linux. Organising Wine isn’ t convenient, however, and it’ s usually advisable simply find Linux counterparts that work like your Windows programs.
Making typically the shift to Linux isn’ t as easy as some make it out to be. But there’ s numerous helpand cool, free applications available, if you know best places look.
Back to top Go down
https://acer-aspire-6935g.forumotion.com

Linux meant for Windows Users.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ACER Aspire 6935G battery :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: